Deluxe Versatile Veggie Quiche
This recipe is tasty, as well as being very adaptable and economical - and the reduced-fat pastry is a health bonus too. Replace the pea, courgette and tomato filling with other vegetables if you prefer, whatever you have left in your veg box is also a good option! The crust will fill a 23-28cm/9-11 inch pie dish.
Time: 75 mins
- 30g/1oz vegan margarine
- 2-3 cooked potatoes, mashed (about 250g/9oz)
- 100g/3½ oz fine wholemeal flour, sieved*
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Oil spray
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 400g/14 oz tofu
- 225g/8 oz Tofutti Creamy Smooth, Garlic & Herbs
- 125ml /4 fl oz soya milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 150g/5 1/2 oz peas
- 1 large courgette, sliced
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
1. Pastry: mash the margarine together with the potatoes until smooth – this is easier if the potatoes are warm, so you might want to quickly heat up leftover spuds in a microwave or steamer. (Do not use an electric blender/food processor to mash them or the potato will turn gluey!)
2. Mix the dry ingredients together and combine them with the potato mash.
3. Spray the quiche dish with a couple of squirts of oil spray. Spread it round with clean hands or a pastry brush.
4. Press the crust on the bottom and edges of a large pie dish (diameter about 25-28 cm/10-11 inch). Spread around evenly with your thumb and fingers.
5. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
6. Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5.
7. Make the pastry as above if not already done.
8. Filling: sauté the onion 2 tsp oil until softened – about 3-5 minutes. Then add in the courgette and turn over after a few minutes so both sides brown off.
9. Meanwhile, boil the peas for around 4 minutes and drain.
10. Blend the Tofutti, tofu, soya milk, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper until fairly smooth. Then mix in the peas.
11. Arrange the onion, courgette and tomato slices around the pastry case, evenly.
12. Pour the filling mixture on top, distributing it evenly with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until firm in the middle. Check after 35 minutes, as the time will vary depending on your oven.
13. Allow to cool before cutting and serving. *for a gluten-free alternative: split the 100g flour into about 70g buckwheat flour and 30g gram flour.
*for a gluten-free alternative: split the 100g flour into about 70g buckwheat flour and 30g gram flour.