White Bean and Kale Soup
I adapted the idea for this soup from Vegetarian Times created by Amanda Mauser, a 14 year old from Denver, Colorado, and we found it absolutely delicious! I did not have smoked paprkia but used 1 teaspoon of Wright's Hickory Seasoning Liquid Smoke which added an outstanding flavor. If you can find Eden Organic or Whole Foods Navy Beans with no salt added, it is not necessary to rinse and drain the beans. Do not use the 3/4 cup water if you use the liquid in the no salt added beans. Any white beans will work if you don't have great northern.
If you want the kale to be very green, cook it separately in a few inches of boiling water in a covered pot for 4 minutes or to your taste and add just before serving, but this is NOT necessary.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, chopped, about 6 cups (You can''t have too much!)
- 1 garnet yam, diced ( not necessary to peel)
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika plus more for garnish or paprika plus 1 to 1/2
- teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low- sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15.5 ounce cans great norther beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- pepper to taste
- In soup pot stir-fry onions adding liquid as necessary until just beginning to brown
- Wash chopped kale so it goes in the pot wet and add to onions cooking 4 to 5 minutes until wilted.
- Stir in yam, paprika, curry and bay leaf and cook 1 minute more for spices to release their fragrance
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 30 minutes or until kale and yams are tender.
- Puree 1 cup beans with 3/4 cup water in blender or by putting beans and water in a small bowl and blending with an immersion blender.
- Add bean puree and remaining beans to soup and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and pepper to taste and serve with a sprinkle of paprika in each bowl.