Kale/lemon Sandwiches, the Ultimate in Health
This sandwich is stunningly delicious and tastes as good as it is healthy. Any greens of choice will work. The lemon adds an almost sweet taste. Be generous with it!
- 4 slices Mestemacher of Feldcamp (Whole Foods) or any whole grain bread
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped in bite sized pieces (remove thick stem) or
- Swiss Chard or greens of choice (4 cups or more)
- hummus without tahini (easy to make blending a base of chick peas,
- lemon and garlic then adding to taste cumin, vinegar, red peppers, parsley or cilantro
- green onions ,chopped (1 per slice of bread)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1/2- 1lemon, center part VERY, VERY thinly sliced and the ends
- squeezed and zested
- 1 large tomato, sliced in 4 thick slices (optional)
- Toast bread well. If using Mestemacher or a rye or pumpernickel double or even triple toast. Make it almost cracker-like.
- Put kale in a pot with about 3-4 inches of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until kale is tender, 3-5 minutes. Check frequently. Kale is good when cooked almost spinach-like.
- Spread toast thickly with hummus, sprinkle green onions on the hummus, pile cilantro on top of the green onions and then place a few thinly sliced lemons pieces on the cilantro.
- When Kale is tender, drain well. Shake the strainer so all water is gone, sprinkle the kale in the strainer with lemon zest and remaining lemon juice. LOTS of lemon makes this good!
- Then put a big handful of lemon filled kale on top of each piece of bread. It is delicious just like that or top with a tomato slice.
And there you have health in a bite! A bit of a messy one at that!